Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Project Update: Dec. 21, 2011. Cookies purchased!

Shortly after I made the initial post for My Daily Fortune, I received a little bit of that karma I had been looking for. I got a job.

A good job, too. In fact, a job that pays more than any job I've ever had. And after I started the job, My Daily Fortune became a mere afterthought.

Until tonight. Jamie and I were eating a lovely dinner at Evergreen Chinese Restaurant at 78th and State in Kansas City, Kansas, not far from our home. At the end of the meal, when the check and two fortune cookies were presented, my beautiful wife reminded me of the project.

"I don't know," I told her. "Now that I have a job, it seems like too much of a hassle."

"But I think you could grow from it," Jamie said, always wiser than I give her credit for. "You could grow as a writer, and you could grow as a person."

She was right, of course. The fact that I got a job should not stop me from taking on this task. In fact, I think it should make my quest even stronger. Now I am in contact with many more people, and I will now be able to pass along the fortunes I receive in the cookies to my co-workers along with family and friends.

On a whim, I asked the proprietor of the restaurant if I could buy some fortune cookies from her. A lot of fortune cookies.

She walked to the back and returned with a large box. On the side, I noticed these words: "350 FORTUNE COOKIES."

I took that as a sign. No, I took it as my first fortune. I had no idea how many fortune cookies came in a case. Turns out, a few short of a year's worth.

For thirteen bucks, I walked out with the case, and my wife walked out with our leftovers and a sack containing a few handfuls more of the cellophane-wrapped cookies to give us a total of over 365.

Now I have the drive. And I have the cookies.

Starting this week, I will make a few test runs. The cookie I opened after dinner tonight advised me to "Pay attention to the color purple this week." I don't think the fortune writer was referring to the Whoopi Goldberg movie. So I'm going to pay attention, and see where the color purple leads me.

One thing is for sure: it will lead me to January 1, 2011, Day 1 of the My Daily Fortune quest.

No comments:

Post a Comment