Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Today's fortune: January 19, 2011

Today's fortune: You will be showered with good luck before your next birthday.
Unless I'm reading the calendar wrong - or unless my mother lied to me when I was a kid - my birthday is nearly eight months away.

So the question is... will I be doused by a luck shower just once between now and September 15, or will I experience an eight-month long deluge?

I'm prayin' for rain.

This is one of those fortunes that I may have to update over the next eight months as luck comes my way. But now that I think about it, I did have one stroke of luck today - I'm still alive.

No, I'm not trying to make a corny religious statement like "Every day we have on earth is a blessing!" If you live in the Kansas City area and you drove home from work today, you know why I consider being alive to be luck. The weather gods dumped inches of snow on our heads this afternoon (and it's still coming down with a vengeance). The snow turned my twenty-minute commute into an hour. Fortunately (or should I say luckily?) I didn't encounter any crazy drivers; everybody seemed to be well aware of the conditions, and they were driving appropriately.

And actually, when I finally made it to my neighborhood, I received another shower of luck, albeit a tiny one (call it a luck drizzle). I got a good laugh by the actions of one of my neighbors. Let me preface this anecdote by reminding you that the snow is still falling, and the forecast calls for snow all through the night and into tomorrow. Also, it's important to point out that my entire neighborhood is on perfectly level ground, and even if we got a foot of snow, most vehicles would have little trouble pushing through it.

What was my neighbor doing? She was shoveling her driveway. During a snowstorm.

To me, it was funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment