Thursday, January 20, 2011

Today's fortune: January 20, 2011

Today's fortune: Tomorrow will be a productive day. Don't oversleep.
Twenty days into this crazy project, and I think the fortunes are beginning to mock me.

Tomorrow will be a productive day? Really? Have you not been paying attention, fortune cookie gods? I've been pretty darn productive lately. In addition to blogging every single day about your infernally cryptic messages, I also hold down a full-time job, a full-time marriage, and numerous part-time writing commitments.

And, I have this thing called an alarm clock, which is quite good at keeping me from oversleeping.

Although it's not explicitly stated, this fortune implies that I'll be more productive tomorrow than most other days. So let's think about that...

Tomorrow is Friday. Friday is hardly ever the most productive day for anybody. It's the lead-in to the weekend. Most people tend to "phone it in" at their jobs on Friday. In fact, according to statistics I just made up, employees are 73 percent more likely to call in sick or take a vacation day on Friday than any other day of the week.

(Just in case any of my bosses are reading this, let me say that nobody at my office 'phones it in' on Fridays. We work hard every single day.)

There may be a glimmer of hope here. Since I'm new at my job, I don't yet have a full workload; they slowly build up your inventory over the first few months. Tomorrow, I'm going to try to work quickly and efficiently to get my work done as early as possible.

Then I'm going to ask for more.

I've been doing that already, asking other people in the office if I could help them out, but tomorrow I'm going to ask for more of my own work. I don't know if they'll give it to me, but I'm going to ask.

Then, when I get home, I'll write a post for this blog. I also have a Saturday deadline for my I-70 Baseball article, but guess what? I'm gonna knock it out tomorrow. Then, if I have time, I'm going to write something for The Henry Wiggen Blog, a site I maintain with my good friend John Lofflin (we talk about baseball, journalism, Kansas City and a whole lot of other stuff. Check it out sometime).

After that, I might take my wife out for dinner and drinks.

Take that, fortune cookie gods! I'm gonna prove you... well, I guess I'll be proving you right.

No comments:

Post a Comment