Saturday, January 22, 2011

Today's fortune: January 22, 2011

Today's fortune: You will enjoy doing something different this coming weekend.

Jamie and I are spending our Saturday doing something different. And we're enjoying the hell out of it.

Before I get into our day, I want to dissect the fortune a bit, particularly the phrase "this coming weekend." Today is Saturday, so some people may read the fortune and assume "this coming weekend" actually means next weekend. But because of the immediacy of this blog, since I like to write about things in the present, I'm going focus on the word "this." I choose to believe "this coming weekend" refers to the current weekend.

Now, to our plans.

Jamie has been wanting to surprise me with a special date for a while now to kick off a series of romantic evenings, afternoons and getaways. This morning she revealed the surprise to me: a trip to Weston, Missouri, a beautiful little town a short trip north of Kansas City.

But I balked. We both enjoy spending time in Weston, but we've been there fairly recently. Of course, Jamie wasn't trying to fulfill my fortune; she was just hoping to plan a fun Saturday. I feel like a jerk for ruining her plans.

Fortunately, we were able to work out a plan that is both romantic and different. We are spending the afternoon in Independence, Missouri, on that town's downtown square.

This is a blast from the past for Jamie. When she was growing up there, she'd often spend Saturdays on the Independence Square, window-shopping and watching movies at the discount theater. Those are terrific memories for her.

We ate lunch at a restaurant Jamie's been wanting to try. We window-shopped. We had dessert at the soda fountain at Clinton's Drug Store, where Harry S. Truman once worked.

Speaking of Truman - Jamie and I both realized we'd never been to the Truman home. So we went there, too.

Different is good. If we lived in a larger city, a different weekend would be easier. But Jamie and I have been able to carve something unique out of something familiar.

No comments:

Post a Comment