Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Today's fortune: February 1, 2011

Today's fortune: You will continue to take chances and be glad you did.
This is going to be short and sweet. I'm stuck in the middle of a Kansas City blizzard, and I am unable (and unwilling) to make the drive home. Normally, the drive would take 20 minutes; today, it might be two hours or more.

My company is going to put me up in a hotel across the street for the night, which means I'll be wearing the exact same clothes to work tomorrow that I am today. I'm writing this post in the break room at my office on a public computer.

I had a chance today to ask one of my supervisor's supervisors about how I could take chances with my job. He gave some profound answers, and I think it was a big help as to how I will handle my job in the future.

Since I'm still somewhat new, nearly everything I do is a new experience. The manager told me I should actively pursue these opportunities - take chances to do things out of my comfort zone. That's a great way to get noticed, he said, and an excellent way to prepare yourself to succeed down the road. I can't imagine a better piece of advice.

So back to work I go. I'll head to the hotel room tonight and, yes, I did happen to pack an emergency fortune cookie for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment