Monday, February 21, 2011

Today's fortune: February 21, 2011

Today's fortune: Follow your heart for success in the coming week.
In the widget-making business, you don't find too many opportunities to follow your heart on the job. In fact, following your heart instead of your head can land you in hot water.

But one thing has been weighing on my heart lately, and Jamie's heart even more. And, I think in following our hearts in the matter, we've achieved a a terrific success.

We've both been worried about the fate of the little pup Jamie found a few weeks back.


At first, we thought about keeping the shih tzu mix (who, much to my chagrin, was not part boxer, denying me the chance to refer to the breed as a shihtbox). But after seeing how the eight-month-old furball affected our cats, we decided it wasn't a good fit.

Jamie and I have been working hard to find the dog, whom we've been calling Cookie, a good home ever since. Through the help of a work friend, Katie, we followed several leads at Acme Corp., but none of them stuck. We even sent the pup on a playdate with a young woman who already had a shih tzu, but the two dogs didn't get along, and we took Cookie back after only a few hours.

Last week we sent Cookie on a second playdate. He's been on it now for seven days.

The prospective owner is nearly certain she'll be keeping the dog, but they want to give it a few more days just to make sure. I feel good about it, though.

Cookie, by the way, has been re-named Barney. I think that's fitting. He does sort of resemble this guy:


It does my heart good to know we're close to finding Cookie - I mean, Barney - a good home. And I'm really glad Jamie and I had him in our lives for a short while. My heart grew bigger by having him, and a little bigger still by making the difficult decision to let him go.

Following your heart is not a bad thing. It's almost like following a fortune cookie - something good is going to come out of it.

1 comment: