Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Rethinking the writing contests - and open to ideas

Well, folks, it seems that your interest has fizzled in the My Daily Fortune Writing Contest concept.

After a strong showing in January and an incredibly touching winning entry, I received only two entries for the month of February. And not one single entry has been submitted for March.

I want this blog to be an interactive experience. We're offering great prizes, like a FortuneKeeper and a signed copy of Jennifer 8 Lee's excellent book The Fortune Cookie Chronicles. The rules are very simple, and you don't have to be a good writer. All you have to do is take one of my fortunes or one of your own and write about what it means to you. That's it. Post it in the comments or click on the "Post your fortunes here!" tab on the right-hand side of the page, and you're done.

So I think what I'll do is cancel the March writing contest, and we'll do a big push for April. We'll give out a first- and second-place prize. I'm going to try to publicize the blog and the writing contest elsewhere on the internet to see if I can drum up some more interest.

But I'm definitely open to ideas. If you know how to make this contest - or this blog - better, don't hesitate to let me know. You can send me an e-mail at mattkelseyauthor@gmail.com.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to your thoughts.

1 comment: