Monday, March 21, 2011

Today's fortune: March 21, 2011

Today's fortune: Don't worry about money. The best things in life are free.

It's a good thing, I guess, because when it comes to money, I ain't got much.

And I'm not 100% sure I agree with that phrase: "The best things in life are free." When you get right down to it, nothing is really free. Everything costs something, either money or integrity or moral capital or something of the sort.

But this fortune seems to be specifically talking about things that don't cost any money, or rather things that can't be bought with money. In that sense, I agree wholeheartedly.

The best thing in my life is my wife, Jamie. She didn't cost a dime... and yet, at the same time, she costs thousands of dollars in all the fine jewelry and clothes I buy her. Well... more like hundreds. But those things I buy because I love her or because I'm in trouble, not because it's the cost of keeping her. I know in my heart that if I never spent money on her, she would love me just the same.

This fortune comes at an interesting time. At Acme Co., each year the company shares its profits with the employees. It's a nice bonus for a year of hard work. This is profit-sharing week, and everybody is jubilant for the checks to come.

Me and the other folks from my training class started a couple weeks too late to benefit from profit sharing. Next year, though, I should get a full share - that is, if I'm still working there.

Even though I won't be receiving a check, I'm still required to attend a profit sharing celebration later this week. I guess I'll be able to yell out, "Yay! I don't get any money! YIPPEE!!!"

The whole ordeal is obviously going be difficult and unusual for those of us who won't benefit financially. But if we heed the words of this fortune and we don't worry about the money, I'm sure we'll have a lot of fun.

Next year, though, screw that. I want my money.

No comments:

Post a Comment