Sunday, April 17, 2011

Today's fortune: April 17, 2011

Today's fortune: You shall attain great wisdom with each passing year.

If I had my choice of professions, I may very well choose to be a life-long student.

(Oh hell, who am I kidding? I'd be a professional baseball player, and in the offseason I'd work as a lotion applier for the Hawaiian Tropic Bikini Team.)

Although I didn't always enjoy school itself, I loved the process of learning. I look back at college with particular nostalgia. Probably because I met Jamie when I was in college, but also I remember it fondly because of the knowledge I gained.

This fortune says I will attain knowledge "with each passing year." And not just knowledge, but "great wisdom." Let me take a look back at the things I've learned in the past 12 months or so to see if there's room for growth in the coming years.

I learned that when you make a pledge to do something every day for an entire year, you better damn well be dedicated to the project.

I learned to be a pretty good widget maker, thanks to some incredible trainers, co-workers and supervisors at Acme Co.

I learned that I really, really miss "Lost."


I learned to appreciate Jamie more than I already did. I learned that she is the most determined person I've ever met. I learned that it was possible to love her even more.

I learned tattoos hurt like holy hell.

I learned my friend Garrett, after he has a few beers in him, can be amazed by simple television special effects. A while back he was at our house and we were all watching TV together. A commercial came on in which, through the use of special effects, items were magically cut in half. A car. A picnic basket. A park bench. An ice bucket. The ice bucket was the one that blew his mind. "How did they do that???"

I learned that early in the mornings, if you flip around the TV dial, sometimes you can find a Marx Brothers movie playing. And I learned that there's literally nothing funnier than a Marx Brothers movie.

I learned to enjoy the intense - although by now totally commercialized and overhyped - writing of Stieg Larsson.

I learned nobody close to me appreciates my taste in YouTube videos. For example, this video is my all-time favorite, but when I show it to others I get a tepid "meh":


I learned about the genius of comedian Louis C.K.

I learned birds don't seem to care for the My Daily Fortune Bird Mansion. It's still vacant.

And finally, I learned that being 31 ain't so bad. After already passing 16, 18, 21, 25 and 30 (that would make for a good set of lucky numbers), I don't have to face another depressing milestone birthday for nine years.

Let's hope the next 12 months bring even more wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment