Saturday, April 23, 2011

Today's fortune: April 23, 2011

Today's fortune: A new pair of shoes will do you a world of good!

People joke with me sometimes that they're going to slip a fortune in to one of my cookies to make me do something crazy (I don't need any help, people). I thought my brother would be the first person to try this, but it turns out it was my loving wife Jamie.

I was convinced she planted today's fortune in the hopes that I would be forced to go shoe shopping today, and hence I would take her with me, and hence she would get to go shoe shopping! It was a brilliant plan!

But the fortune appears legit. So either Jamie didn't plant it or she's the world's only fortune cookie counterfeiter.

I pondered my shoe situation today. All told, I currently have only four pairs of shoes in my current rotation:

1. The Work Shoes. I have a pair of comfortable brown shoes that feel like tennis shoes but look like business-casual shoes. I wear them almost every day to work.

2. The Athletic Shoes. These are my weekend warriors. I wear them on Casual Friday. I cut grass in them. If I worked out, I would totally wear them to work out. And I'm wearing them right now.

3. The Silly Shoes I Already Bought Because Of A Fortune.


I actually do wear these shoes, as ugly as they are.

4. The Dress Shoes. Since my "Work Shoes" are only sort of dressy, I have a pair of actual brown dress shoes I wear whenever I put on a suit. They're perfect for funerals, weddings and job interviews.

That's it. I know most people have more than four pairs of shoes. I know I'm in the minority by admitting I only have four pairs. So when I went out grocery shopping today, I considered stopping by a shoe store to buy a pair of shoes and do myself a world of good.

But as I drove toward Payless, I thought about how strange it sounds that I have FOUR pairs of shoes... and in the United States, that's considered a very small number! In many countries around the world, people can't afford any shoes at all.

I drove straight past the shoestore and came home, where I surfed the Internet for a while and found the charity website Soles 4 Souls, which has a mission of collecting and buying new and gently-used shoes to give to people in need. (Full disclosure: the organization has been criticized for its practices of re-selling shoes in third-world marketplaces, but the charity claims not only are they distributing shoes to poor people, they're also creating jobs in third-world countries.)

The least I've ever spent on a single pair of shoes is about twenty bucks. At Soles 4 Souls, twenty dollars buys twenty pairs of shoes for people in need.

Instead of buying one pair of shoes to do myself a world of good, I made a donation and bought twenty pairs of shoes to do the world some good.

18 comments:

  1. Did you think about giving them the shoes pictured in No. 3 above. Huh? And maybe a certain pair of "bowling shoes" should go along with those pictured above. Huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For Protestants, the press is the answer to their eyes to Cheap LV Handbags the persecution of the Roman Catholic Church use painting infidels and skeptics. So they invented an anti-portrait, painted the christian louboutin pope fictional demon, and the king became the killings performer. Discount Louis Vuitton See themselves Discount LV Handbags as victims of religious outrage Dutch news magazines in the 17th century. Since their comebacks from the popular comic cartoon history began, the theme is the fight against the Cheap Louis Vuitton Handbags Dutch royal family of Spain, and the Duke of Alva (Duke of Christian Louboutin Bois Dore Alva) is their favorite villain portrayed.

    Then target for widening, news magazines are both parties to fend off the threat of "Dutch Freedom" facing cheap jordans the republic debate has become a common weapon.The first great modern caricature wholesale jordan shoes artist Romain Vanderhoof (Romeyn de Hooghe). 17th century when William III and his cheap nike jordan shoes sworn enemy of Louis XIV (Louis XIV) conducted a brutal war, recruiting Vanderhoof. Vanderhoof was ordered to create discount nike jordans a lot of comics, the war with the King William III of France and uggs on sale its allies depicted as fighting between freedom and religious autocracy. Ironically cartoonists again see themselves as leading the cavalry ugg australia who rushed blindly religious vanguard.

    And let them Protestant creation in the national interest.18th century, unfettered caricature of religious war graves in Bags Louis Vuitton the face-lift, ushered in the golden age. But this golden age has been able to come, there is a reason (especially in the case of the United ugg boots Kingdom): There is no political force or Air Jordan 11 Gamma Blue institution which has a Christian Louboutin Daffodile monopoly on power. Although uggs outlet representatives of christian louboutin remise 50% the powerful Whig Party (Whigs) dominated much of ugg the 18th century, in the government, but it has not completely expelled from the opposition ugg soldes political arena, and oligarchy As usual, the factions emerged, various factions are v Zhu christian louboutin shoes caricature cheap christian louboutin to ugg pas cher expose the hostile factions discount christian louboutin camouflage, expose their hypocrisy, sarcastic laughter in a high position who will pull station.

    ReplyDelete