Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Today's fortune: April 6, 2011

Today's fortune: The project you have in mind will soon gain momentum.

The first thing that comes to my mind when I think of the word "project" is a home improvement project. But I have this habit of screwing up that type of project. Royally.

Jamie and I have always had big plans for our house. We want to improve the yard. We want to paint walls. We want to put in new carpet. Et cetera. But none of that has happened. Part of it is a financial limitation - maintaining and improving a house is expensive - but another part of it is lack of energy, especially when both of us work 40 hours a week. I can't speak for Jamie, but I like to relax on Saturday and Sunday. Working in the yard or painting a room does not meet my definition of a relaxing activity.

Only one area of our house is truly better than it was when we moved in: our back porch. And not just because we bought new patio furniture over the weekend. Jamie and I have worked hard, and spent some money, to make the back deck a place of great comfort and enjoyment. We've thrown some kickin' parties out there, too.

Our improvements include putting in a fire pit and buying a very manly and awesome five-burner barbecue grill. Sixty-five thousand BTUs of steak-sizzling power!


But my favorite improvement is a recycling project. We have a small laundry room off our kitchen, and one of the selling points of our house was the sizable pantry inside the laundry room. After we moved in, we discovered that we used the pantry very rarely, but we could use the space in the laundry room that the pantry took up.

So I tore that bastard out with a crowbar. (Insert more Tim Allen grunts here). Instead of carrying it to the curb, Jamie recommended we turn the pantry into a bench for the patio. We did. And it's awesome. It seats four people, provides tons of storage and even has an opening for wood for the fire pit.

But that's a project in the past. This fortune is clearly talking about a project I have in mind for the future.

One such project stuck in my brain today: my book.

I wrote a novel a couple years ago, and it's been sitting on a shelf gathering dust. I've been telling myself that I'm going to edit the thing a little more and submit it to literary agents.

But in the back of my mind, something's been nagging at me. I'm beginning to think the book isn't good enough for publication.

Now, I'm not saying that's true. It's just the way my mind works. Maybe the book is terrific. I don't know. And I'm not giving up on it. Not by a long shot: I poured too much time and energy into it to give up.

But I'm beginning to feel the itch to start another one.

I have two or three more ideas that would make fantastic novels, and about a hundred ideas that would make mediocre ones. I don't know if I'll be able to start one this year while I'm working on this blog, but maybe my goal for 2012 is to write another novel.

This fortune doesn't say I'll be completing a project soon. But in my mind, a new novel is gaining momentum like crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment