Friday, May 13, 2011

Today's fortune: May 13, 2011

Today's fortune: You will attend an unusual party and meet someone important.
Back in my day, every year we would have Grandparents Day at my elementary school. It was always a lot of fun: the students got to stick it to their lame, fuddy-duddy parents and showcase their cool, fuddy-duddy grandparents.

Both of my grandfathers died before I was born, and my grandmothers lived out of town and often couldn't make it to Grandparents Day. So we wouldn't feel left out, the school allowed us to bring substitutes. At the time, my dad worked at a community college with two very nice ladies named Linda and Karen. Linda served as my brother's substitute; Karen was mine.

Once, instead of introducing Karen as my "substitute grandma," I introduced her as my "illegitimate grandma." That's been her title ever since.

Anyway, apparently schools don't have Grandparents Days anymore, for that very reason - lots of kids don't have grandparents. Now, what they have is Special Persons Day.

Today, I was a Special Person for my Little Brother, Rayne. I visited his school for about an hour and had lunch with him in the cafeteria (hamburger, chips, chocolate milk, an orange slice and a cookie). I was surrounded by ten-year-olds, who were thrilled to have their special people at school with them. I think it certainly qualifies as an "unusual party."

I had a blast, and I met Rayne's friends and some of the school's staff. They were truly "interesting people," as this fortune calls for.

But this fortune doesn't necessarily say I'd meet an interesting person at the unusual party. It could be referring to two separate events. In that spirit, I'd like to tell you about an interesting situation at work today.

I'm gonna change this guy's name to protect his identity, but the story should still work. One of my widget customers today was named, let's say, James Benton. It's a common enough name (as was the person's real name), and he was a common enough fellow. But as I was working on the widget, I noticed something interesting and unusual about James Benton.

He lived on James Street in Bentonville, Utah.

James Benton of James St., Bentonville! I kid you not. It was one of the most bizarre and coincidental things I've ever seen. But who knows? Maybe James is a very important person. Maybe the street is named after him and the city is named after his family.

That might make for a good character in a novel. (Copyright Matt Kelsey, 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment