Monday, May 16, 2011

Today's fortune: May 16, 2011

Today's fortune: A new relationship is about to blossom. You will be blessed.

Seconds after I posted the fortune this morning, I heard a scraping sound coming from our back deck. Hoping against hope that it wasn't an early-morning demon hunting chubby writers, I carefully pulled back the blinds.

Looking back in at me was an adorable squirrel, clinging to the screen.

He climbed around for a few minutes, seemingly indifferent to or unaware of me. He also licked the screen quite a bit, which was weird. Maybe he could taste nuts (hehe) on there.

Being close to wildlife, and watching it act naturally and totally undisturbed, even if it's just a common backyard squirrel, is awe-inspiring. This summer, Jamie and I have been blessed by having a relationship with the squirrels in our backyard. In fact, the squirrels have made a home here.

We have a big ol' tree in our yard. Years ago, before we lived here, a large limb was cut off at the trunk, and over the years the exposed wood rotted out. This year, the squirrels hollowed out that rotted area and built a nest. I think most of the ones running around our yard are newly born.

When I came home this evening, I sat down at the computer and again heard a scraping sound coming from the back porch. I peeled back the blinds, and instead of seeing one squirrel clinging to the window, I saw no fewer than six squirrels frolicking in the yard. The scraping sound was a squirrel playing with a nut (hehe) on our deck.

This fortune came on an interesting day, not only because I opened the cookie seconds before a squirrel licked my window, but because today marks the 41st anniversary of the most stable and beautiful relationship I've ever seen.

Happy anniversary, mom and dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment