Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Today's fortune: May 18, 2011

Today's fortune: You will win favors when you expand your social circle.

I don't really care for people, so this fortune presents a problem for me.

All kidding aside... I don't have a problem with people, but social interactions are taxing. Most of the time, I'd rather be left alone. And I'm okay with that. There's really only one person I could stand spending all my time with, and I'm married to her.

But I can definitely see the benefit of expanding one's social circle. People with lots of friends have more opportunities in life and at work. I want the opportunities, so I have to participate in the social interactions.

In that spirit, I'm making a concerted effort to put myself out there. When I came home today, I logged onto Facebook and accepted all those old friend requests I'd been ignoring, and I also sought out a lot of new friends based on Facebook's eerily prescient suggestions.

On the human, face-to-face level, I'm going to try to participate in more social events. Later this week, a group of people from my department are meeting for a happy hour after work. In the past I would hardly consider going. But now I'm thinking about it.

Who knows? Social interactions might be easier with a beer in my hand.

VEGETARIAN WEEK: Day 1

This whole vegetarian thing isn't going to be quite as difficult as you might think. I really never eat meat for breakfast or lunch, because I only eat a granola bar for those meals. Dinner will be the only challenge.

To help, Jamie and I visited the grocery store together this afternoon. We have fun at the grocery store, and we did tonight. We bought vegetables and other ingredients for a weeks' worth of meals. Currently, there's a vegetarian lasagna in the oven which will be our dinner tonight and will provide leftovers for a few days.

And speaking of social interactions. Here's an awkward situation from the grocery store.

We were checking out when I accidentally backed up and bumped into a cart driven by the person in the opposite lane. I said, "Sorry!" then reached back to brace myself on the cart.

That's when I realized I hadn't bumped into a cart. I had bumped into a woman. And when I reached my hand back, I grabbed her ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment