Friday, May 20, 2011

Today's fortune: May 20, 2011

Today's fortune: Now is a good time to finish up old tasks.

Today was the perfect day to receive this fortune. I am taking Monday and Tuesday off from work (do I ever need it!) and I worked very hard today to wrap up all the loose ends before I left. I was able to close out some bothersome widgets and set others into motion so they would come to fruition after I go back to work on Wednesday.

I have a bad habit of putting off those loose ends at work. Sometimes I'll come across a problem and say, "I'm not gonna do that right now," then I'll go on to something easier, faster or more enjoyable. Eventually, I have a stack of I'm-not-gonna-do-thats all over my desk.

But I also have a good habit of tackling all those problems at once. Usually, about once a week, I'll work on the little annoying problems that stack up. Oftentimes, I discover the problems weren't so bad after all. Here's a vague example: nearly everything I do is on a computer. Besides writing messages on Post-It notes, I hardly ever handle paper in my job. It's pretty cool, but it also creates a problem when I am forced to handle paper. There are a few widget situations that require us to mail something. Like, literally get an envelope, write out an address and drop it in the outgoing mailbox. It sounds easy, but it's a pain in the behind when everything else is digitized. That's the kind of thing that's easy to push off to the side and say, "I'll get to it later."

I do that at home, too. I have a long mental list of projects I've been meaning to get to. They aren't hard projects, but the idea of starting them is, somehow, overwhelming. But I'm going to try to do better.

This morning, after I opened the fortune, I completed one. I mailed a long-overdue graduation card to a relative.

Again - it sounds simple, but to me, the act of doing it was an accomplishment. Finishing up old tasks and crossing them off your list can be extremely rewarding.

VEGETARIAN WEEK: Day 3

Yesterday I suffered a meat craving, but today I was good, even though I was presented with a difficult challenge.

At work, our widget team had a Mexican food day. At the heart of the buffet was taco meat and queso dip Both loaded with delicious - but to me, off-limits - beef.

But I held fast. I made myself two soft tacos filled only with rice, lettuce, cheese, sour cream and salsa, and a side of nachos and cheese.

You know what? The food was delicious. And I didn't miss the meat. At all.

No comments:

Post a Comment