Saturday, May 21, 2011

Today's fortune: May 21, 2011

Today's fortune: Now is a good time to try something new.

What, like going vegetarian for a week is not enough? Now I gotta try something else new?

Sometimes, I can't believe how many new things I've tried since January 1, 2011, because of this project. But it's good to try new things, of course. They make us grow.

I struggled with this one today. I racked my brain - and the brains of my family - to come up with something. The best we could do was this: at the breakfast buffet where Jamie and I met my mom and dad and my brother and sister-in-law, they had one of those self-serve chocolate fountains. I'd never dipped something in a chocolate fountain before, even though by looking at me you'd think I had one in every room of my house.

I came back to the table with a small plate of rice crispies treats, strawberries and pineapple dipped in chocolate, I expressed to my co-diners that I'd never used a chocolate fountain before. "That's it!" Sarah, my sister-in-law, said. "That's the new thing!"

Everybody seemed to agree, but they also agreed that was a pretty lame attempt to fulfill the fortune.

After breakfast, Jamie and I stopped by a grocery store on the Missouri side of the state line, and I decided to use this fortune as a way to break myself out of a slump. I bought this week's worth of lottery tickets in another state. I stood at the lottery counter and transferred my numbers from the Kansas PowerBall playslip onto the Missouri slip.


By tomorrow morning, I'll know if it worked (that is, if the world doesn't end before then).

VEGETARIAN WEEK: Day 4

If I thought yesterday's taco lunch was difficult, I had no conception of how hard it would be to face a breakfast buffet. And of course, we dine there on the one day when the bacon looks fresh and crisp, the steaks juicy and the fried chicken (freakin' fried chicken on a breakfast buffet!) golden and delicious.

I walked right past it all, though. Jamie helped me pick some nice vegetarian-friendly options, like biscuits with non-sausage gravy, hash browns, fresh fruit and the aforementioned chocolate fountain items.

No comments:

Post a Comment