Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Today's fortune: June 1, 2011

Today's fortune: Turn your thoughts within - find yourself.

I can admit I don't know how to write this post.

This blog has been an exercise in writing about my own life, so it would seem this task is easy. But today's fortune is asking me to examine myself... that's a different matter altogether from my life.

I spent the day asking myself a simple question, and when I came home from work today I searched the three-word phrase on Google:

who am i

What I found was a lot of drivel surrounding a very good article from Psychology Today (one of the links in the search). Apparently it's a question a lot of people ask themselves when they are"struggling with their identity and are searching for a core sense of themselves.

"The irony," the article continues, "is that the more you seek to identify who you are, the more fragile you are likely to feel about yourself."

That is the truth.

I began this day with a certain amount of confidence. Now it's mostly gone, and I'm wandering in the darkness because of three simple words.

I don't know who I am.

Except for the basics: I am a man. I am Jamie's husband. I am a writer (or at least I call myself one). I am a...

That's all I can come up with.

Maybe that's enough. It'll have to be, for now. I can't keep thinking about this right now, but I know I will think about nothing else.

While I was writing this post, these four songs played consecutively on my Pandora radio station. Consider it the perfect playlist for self-discovery.



1 comment:

  1. I know who you are. You are one of the most caring individuals I have ever known. You are always thinking of everyone around you and making sure they are confortable at the time, whether it be they are having a personal problem, need advice, or just a hug to let that person know you care and things will get better. That's not easy, but you make it look easy, because you do it without thinking about it. That's who you are.

    ReplyDelete