Thursday, June 2, 2011

Today's fortune: June 2, 2011

Today's fortune: You will soon have the opportunity to improve your finances.

I hope I didn't freak anybody out too much with yesterday's post. It was dark, I know. But I'm totally fine.

Today's fortune could lead me down two paths: I could improve my finances through my job (which is where my finances come from), or I could be blessed with something outside of work. I'm hitting $17-for-153 on my daily lottery tickets (that's a .111 average, which may be good enough for the Kansas City Royals, but it's not good enough for me, dammit), so maybe I'm due for a big win. But I'm not counting on it. And I don't see anything else coming down the pike outside of work.

That leaves work. The best way to improve my finances down that path is to become a better widget maker, so I can earn raises and, eventually, promotions.

I think good things are happening in that department. Over the last few weeks - and especially the last few days - I feel like I'm turning a corner. I'm doing a better job, and my supervisors and co-workers seem to be taking notice. That's a nice feeling, and I'm glad I'm able to do a better job for my customer and for Acme Co.

As far as improving my finances in the short term (this fortune does refer to 'soon'), something happened today to ensure that.

Last week, the company asked for volunteers to work overtime on the weekends to work on an increased widget volume. I volunteered, and today I was asked to come in and work Saturday. That's great, because I'll be making that sweet, sweet overtime scratch, and it gives me an excuse to get out of the house on the day Jamie throws a baby shower here. I'm also on call to possibly work the next few Saturdays after that.

We'll see what a one-day weekend does to my morale next week. I may be one grumpy fortune cookie blogger come mid-June.

But at least I'll be rich!

No comments:

Post a Comment