Saturday, June 25, 2011

Today's fortune: June 25, 2011

Today's fortune: Trust your intuition.

This short-and-sweet fortune - the first from my brand-new batch of cookies - comes on a day when we're traveling. We've journeyed to western Iowa for the wedding of a close family friend.

Let's take a quick look at the Dictionary.com definition of the word "intuition" before pushing forward: "(A) direct perception of truth, fact, etc., independent of any reasoning process; immediate apprehension."

So it probably wasn't intuition, but rather common sense, that allowed us to arrive in Iowa in the first place.

Here's the thing - the quickest and easiest way to travel between Kansas City and northwestern Iowa is via Interstate 29. The problem is, due to recent flooding along the Missouri River, I-29 looks like this in certain places and Jeeeeeeezus! Who wants to drive in that???

AP photo via the website thirdage.com

We were required to take some back roads and state highways to avoid the flooding. But all is well; we arrived in one piece.

The wedding was a success (no runaway brides, wardrobe malfunctions, etc.), and we're taking a break now between wedding and reception. In a little while, we'll be heading over to the reception hall, which was the scene of a now-infamous event in which my wife Jamie became stupendously and aggressively drunk.

Rumor has it there will be an open bar tonight.

So I know I'll have to have a double dose of intuition in order to babysit my wife through Jamie's Drunken Iowa Adventure: The Squeakquel.

I may need a beer or two - but not much more - to calm my nerves and sharpen my senses.

No comments:

Post a Comment