Sunday, July 10, 2011

Today's fortune: July 10, 2011

Today's fortune: Excitement and intrigue follow you closely wherever you go!

For a fortune involving excitement and intrigue, please allow this to serve as your soundtrack:


Unlike Indiana Jones, I don't lead a very exciting life. I go to work, I come home, I talk and laugh with my wife, I play with my cats, I read books and I watch movies. Occasionally I mow the lawn, I fix stuff around the house and I spend time with family and friends. All in all, it's a pretty normal - and pretty boring - life.

But "excitement and intrigue" can mean different things for different people.

Three days ago, Jamie threw out her back. She had been experiencing mild back pain for a few days before that, but then all at once something became out of whack, and now she's totally incapacitated. I've been thrust into caretaker mode, and you may not believe this, but it's been exciting as hell, and I'm truly intrigued by my own actions.

In the past, I have been guilty of not being a very good caretaker. Jamie has always taken terrific care of me when I'm sick, but I have failed to reciprocate. I don't know why. I do know it makes me less of a man and less of a husband.

But this time around, something is different. I have been an awesome caretaker, if I do say so myself. I have been cleaning the house religiously. Yesterday it was the kitchen, today the living room, tomorrow probably the bathroom. I have also been cooking every meal. Last night I made baked penne with roasted vegetables. Lunch today was corn on the cob, fried potatoes and pasta salad. And I've been at Jamie's beck and call, bringing her drinks, pillows, medicine, anything at all to make her comfortable.

In the past, I think my problem was I would grow weary of taking care of Jamie. But this time, I'm energized by it. A flip has been switched. Each time I do something for her, it only makes me want to do more. I may have been a failure before, but now I feel like I've been reborn. And I'm kicking ass at this whole "being a good husband" thing.

In her time of need, I'm finally treating Jamie the way she deserves to be treated when she's not hurting. That's exciting and intriguing.

Gotta run. Must check on the patient.

1 comment: