Monday, July 18, 2011

Today's fortune: July 18, 2011

Today's fortune: Good news of long-awaited event will arrive soon.

I was thinking this fortune meant one of my engaged friends would announce that a wedding date had been set, or one of my single friends would announce an engagement. Neither of those things happened today.

But a few other long-awaited events are in fact happening soon. In a couple of weeks, I'll be taking a test to see if I can be bumped up to the next salary level at Acme Co. If I pass the test, I get a raise. More money makes Matt happy.

Two other long-awaited events pertain directly to this project.

Tomorrow will mark Day 200 of the year, and nice round numbers make for good milestones. Two hundred days means I've pushed well past the halfway point and I'm moving closer to the two-thirds mark, which will happen around Day 244 (I promise not to make a big deal over that one). It's also a bit daunting, because even though I can see 200 fortunes in the rearview mirror, I can also look ahead and see a hundred more... and sixty-five more after that.

Then on Wednesday, we'll come upon something interesting. Wednesday will be July 20, and July 20 - I'm not making this up - is National Fortune Cookie Day!

That's right, apparently somebody has designated the 20th day in July as National Fortune Cookie Day. Although, other sites say Sept. 13 is the date, but I've chosen to celebrate this week (and, hell, I'll probably celebrate on Sept. 13, too).

Since I've dedicated a year to fortune cookies, National Fortune Cookie Day ought to be a pretty significant day for me. And even though I just found out National Fortune Cookie Day existed last week, you could still say it was long-awaited.

To celebrate National Fortune Cookie Day, I'll be taking a big bowl of fortune cookies to my work and giving them out to passersby. I may also have a contest on the blog (to be determined) for a cool prize (also to be determined). Maybe Jamie and I will have Chinese food that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment