Thursday, July 28, 2011

Today's fortune: July 28, 2011

Today's fortune: Those who seek will find.

Up until about two hours ago, I didn't really know what to write about tonight. I was going to fumble around and write about how this fortune reminds me of that Ancestry.com commercial ("You don't have to know what you're looking for, you just have to start looking") and about how organized religions count on people buying into this theory.

Yeah, it would have been a pretty boring post.

Two hours ago, Jamie and I met my mother, my father, my brother Marty and my sister-in-law Sarah for ice cream. When we sat down at the table, Marty handed me a fortune cookie, of all things.

"Sarah and I ate at this Chinese food place, and all the fortune cookies were really funny," he said. "Go ahead, open it."

"I'll open it in the morning and use it as my fortune tomorrow."

"Nah," Marty said, a little more insistently. "Open it now. I wanna see what it says."

So I tore open the wrapper and went through the now-familiar motions of opening a cookie. This was the fortune that came out of it:


Marty and Sarah are going to have a baby!

At that instant I knew exactly what this fortune meant. "Those who seek shall find." Marty and Sarah had been trying for a baby for years, and now they found one. It's a dream come true for both of them, and for my whole family. My brother is gonna be a daddy. My parents are gonna be grandma and grandpa. I'm gonna be an uncle. And that's awesome.


Currently, the little creature - affectionately called "tadpole" by Marty and Sarah - is about an inch and a half long.

Roughly the size of a fortune cookie.

- Uncle Matt, signing off

No comments:

Post a Comment