Thursday, August 11, 2011

Today's fortune: August 11, 2011

Today's fortune: Doors will be opening for you in many areas of your life.

This fortune is implying there are many areas of my life. As far as I can reckon, there are only two: "Work," and "Not Work." That's not a lot of doors to open.

But I suppose those two areas can be subdivided, can't they? As for "Work," I can break it down to...

1. The job itself - Widget Maker

2. My place in the company heirarchy

3. Co-worker and teammate

... and many others. On the "Not Work" side, well, the possibilities are quite endless. Let's just subdivide "Family" for a second. That can be broken down numerous ways: Immediate Family, Extended Family, In-Laws, The Side of the Family We Never Talk About, and others. Don't even get me started on the ways you could break down my complicated, layered relationship with my wife.

So in that light... yeah. There are quite a few doors that could be opened at any time.

I left work early today because I had a stomach ache, but other than that it was a pretty good day. I was productive and calm all at the same time. My calmness reflected back on my customers, and they may have even been less likely to argue with me because of it.

So... calmness opened doors with my customers. And then, as I was driving home, a bumper sticker opened the door to calmness.

I was barreling down the highway. An SUV was directly in front of me, and another one was next to it in the left lane, so even though they were going quite a bit slower than highway speed I couldn't pass. When I edged closer I noticed the drivers of the two cars must have known one another. They were waving at each other like mad. Their speed dropped with every passing second, and my anxiety level climbed to the roof.

As I reached my shaking hand to the center of the steering wheel to supply a good long honk, I noticed a bumper sticker on the back of one of the cars. Instead of honking, I took my foot off the gas, backed off the SUVs and waited until one of them exited the highway before passing.

The bumper sticker carried a message of but a single word.

No comments:

Post a Comment