Monday, August 29, 2011

Today's fortune: August 29,2011

Today's fortune: Your ability to find the silly in the serious will take you far.

Sometimes, this ability can make you look like a real jerk. Just ask this interviewer from one of my favorite viral videos of all time (the clip is in Dutch, but it doesn't matter - the situation translates perfectly):


We've all felt this way at one time or another - although maybe not on such a public stage. But who among us hasn't laughed at a funeral or a visitation?

These moments keep us sane. We need laughter at funerals, because without it our minds would realize how serious the situation really is.

Sometimes, stuff that seems deadly serious in the moment becomes silly, even hilarious, in the re-telling. I discovered that this weekend.

On Saturday morning, I was in our bathroom brushing my teeth. When I was done, I reached for the closest towel to dry off my hands and face. After I was all dry, I pulled myself away and realized that I was completely covered with hair. The night before, my wife had given one of our cats a bath, and for some goddamn reason she decided to hang the towel back up on the hook!

Cat hair was all up in my mouth and all over my face. I was spitting up fur for several minutes and cursing my wife. Then I looked down at my hands and it appeared I was turning into Fozzie Bear.


After I finally got all the hair off (what I didn't swallow), I asked Jamie why the hell she hung the towel back up. "I had to let it dry!" she replied. How do I argue with logic like that?

Anyway.

The situation was disgustingly serious at first. Then when I re-told it to my parents and to other friends and relatives it got funnier and funnier. By the end of the weekend, I had developed the proper comedic timing. By now the tale is firmly entrenched in family lore.

No comments:

Post a Comment