Friday, August 5, 2011

Today's fortune: August 5, 2011

Today's fortune: This is a night for love and affection.

In a mere month and a half, Jamie and I will be celebrating the eighth anniversary of our wedding. We've known each other for ten years; that means we were dating or engaged for only one-fifth of our entire relationship.

They say romance disappears when two people get married. That's not true. It doesn't disappear. But at times, romance becomes transluscent. Jamie and I, like all dating (and especially engaged) couples, were crazy affectionate during those first two years. Now, less so. We both know it and we've both talked about it.

Here's the thing, though: both of us also acknowledge that we love each other even more today than we did back then. Thirty-year-old Jamie is more beautiful, intriguing, dynamic and sexy to me than twenty-year-old Jamie was. Thirty-year-old Jamie is a woman. Twenty-year-old Jamie was a girl. I adored that girl; I crave, worship and cherish this woman.

But a marriage is a marriage, and neither one of us are as affectionate anymore as we want to be.

So, as the fortune says, tonight is a night for love and affection. As I write this, Jamie is next to me putting on makeup. We're not going out. We're staying in. A home-cooked dinner and a movie. Snuggling on the couch. And then we might do things that gentlemen don't talk about.

As I leave you with that image in your head, I present this, the very first song Jamie and I danced to eight years ago at our wedding - a song that embodies love and affection.

No comments:

Post a Comment