Monday, September 12, 2011

Today's fortune: September 12, 2011

Today's fortune: Happiness always accompanies with you.

It seems like the words "Happy" and "Happiness inspire more Engrish than any other word. Head over to Engrish.com for plenty of examples, many of which have the word "Happy" in them:


There's even been a major Hollywood movie with a major plot element revolving around an Engrish spelling of the word - "The Pursuit of Happyness." (The star of that movie, by the way, is in talks to play me in the My Daily Fortune movie.)


What I think this fortune means is that wherever I go, happiness follows in short order. I hope that's true. I think it's true, or rather I'd like to think it's true.

I put it into practice today. A friend of mine at work was busting at the seams with pride and happiness and came to me to tell me about a major kudo she received. I was of course happy for her, but I pretended I was jealous. Okay, I didn't have to pretend. I really was jealous, and I was joking around about it to convince her I wasn't really jealous. But it didn't work, and I knew it and she knew it.

I thought about this fortune, and I felt really bad. My friend was thrilled with her well-deserved recognition, and by expressing jealousy, I know I placed a cloud over her mood.

Later, when I talked to her again, when the subject came up I said, "That's really awesome. I'm so happy for you and I'm proud of you. You deserve it."

"You really mean it?" she asked.

"Of course," I said.

She brightened up instantly. By recognizing her accomplishment in the proper way, I made her day better. And her happiness made mine better, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment