Friday, September 16, 2011

Today's fortune: September 16, 2011

Today's fortune: You should be able to make money and hold on to it.

Is it just me, or does anybody else sense the mocking tone of this fortune? Let's add accent to help identify it: "You should be able to make money and hold on to it."

I'm trying, fortune. I really am. I'm making good money now, money enough to live on. But damn, it just seems to flutter away so fast. And it's not like we're blowing it all on ukeleles, tattoos, patio furniture and lotto tickets.

Oh, wait.

So we've made some expenditures this year that we probably wouldn't have if I hadn't been participating in this project. The lottery tickets cost me seven bucks a week, and I don't think that's sinking the ship. The tattoo, ukelele and patio furniture were all one-time expenses (especially the tattoo, because that's NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN AGAIN.)

You know what's really killing us this year? The price of gas. It costs me eighty bucks to fill up the tank in my pickup, and I have to do that once a week at least. That's a significant chunk of my paycheck.

But from what I've been hearing, nobody has been able to hold on to their money in this economy. Not that I want to blame outside factors for my inability to save, but I kinda want to blame outside factors for my inability to save.

I guess the best thing is to keep trying, hope gas prices go down (yeah, right) and hold fast. Tonight, I'm taking my mother to a baseball game. The tickets were free, so as long as I don't have an urge to buy something extravagant, like a small beer, the evening shouldn't cost too much.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know if I thanked you for taking me to the Royal's game. I truly enjoyed spending the evening with you. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete