Sunday, September 25, 2011

Today's fortune: September 25, 2011

Today's fortune: You have a yearning for perfection.

I don't feel like a perfectionist. In my own mind, I'm pretty much a slob who could care less if things were perfect. But when I asked Jamie if she thought I was a perfectionist, she said "Oh, yeah."

I asked her to elaborate. "It comes through mostly in your work," she said. "Back when you were a newspaper editor, I know you worked hard to make the newspaper absolutely perfect and error-free every night. As a writer, you always try to make sure every sentence is perfect. And I think that's why your current job is so stressful sometimes; because you strive for perfection in a field where perfection is not possible."

Well, those things are true. I do strive for perfection in my professional life. I could probably use some more of that ethic in my personal life to be a better husband and a better human being.

But one thing I know is this: Jamie and I have had a pretty darn perfect day. At 8 a.m. this morning, we woke up to perform our Sunday ritual: reading the newspaper in bed while eating breakfast (waffled today) and watching "CBS Sunday Morning." Afterward, at about 9:30, Jamie and I were still tired, so we decided to turn off the lights and take a little nap.

We woke up at one o'clock in the afternoon.

Now I'm going to go watch some football and spend the rest of the day with my wife... who, by the way, is perfect in every way.

No comments:

Post a Comment