Thursday, September 8, 2011

Today's fortune: September 8, 2011

Today's fortune: You have a reputation for being straight forward and honest.

On the day the fortune talks about honesty, the cookie gods choose to give us only five lottery numbers when every single other cookie I've opened has six - and six numbers are required to play PowerBall and most other big money lottery games.

Fortunately, the Fortune Boy brand of cookies gives you not only the "Lotto Six #s," but also "Daily Numbers," or its version of Pick-3. I borrowed the luckiest of the numbers from the Pick-3, number 7, and I'm using it as the PowerBall on today's lotto ticket.


My own honesty was revealed in an interesting and unexpected way today at work.

About two months ago, I was working on a widget for this guy who had it in his mind that he was going to argue about every little thing. But every time he called, I game him a straight-forward answer; if he left me a voicemail, I called him back right away. Eventually we got the thing done, and he walked away from the table content, if not completely happy.

Today, out of the blue, the guy called me back. He was looking for advice about his next widget purchase (no customer has ever made that type of request to me), and he said, "You were so honest and up-front with us on our old widget, I was hoping you would help me with this new one."

Of course I was glad to oblige. The whole time I thought the guy hated me because we disagreed on the value of his widget. And maybe he did. But at least he respected me because he knew I was a straight shooter.

That meant a lot to a humble widget maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment