Saturday, October 15, 2011

Today's fortune: October 15, 2011

Today's fortune: You are the center of every group's attention.

I already opened a slightly different center-of-attention fortune earlier this year, but I decided to write about this one today anyway solely because of Jamie's reaction when I showed it to her:

"You better NOT be!"

Before you go thinking bad thoughts about Jamie, know this: my wife's birthday is two days away, and we're having a party for her tonight. As would be natural for anyone, Jamie wants to be the center of attention herself tonight.

We had a raucous, booze-fueled bash for Jamie's 30th birthday last year - some of the guests didn't go home until after 3 a.m. - and we thought it only appropriate to do it again in 2011. This year, we're calling it Jamie's 2nd Annual 30th Birthday Party.

We've spent the day cleaning and preparing for guests, and if the weather holds out we plan on spending most of our time out on our deck, which Jamie and her mother have cleaned up beautifully in anticipation of the party. I'm firing up the grill to cook up hot dogs and bratwurst, and I'm sure the liquor will be flowing freely. Jamie has purchased three bottles of wine for herself, and I don't have any doubt she'll drain all of them.

I want Jamie to be at the center of attention. She deserves a party, a night that's all about her. My wife works so hard to put herself through school and to put up with me, and I couldn't be more proud of her. Even when she's not at the center of a party's attention, she is constantly at the center of my attention.

But here's the secret: I plan on standing or sitting right next to Jamie all night long. With Jamie at the center of attention, that makes me just slightly off-center.

No comments:

Post a Comment