Monday, October 24, 2011

Today's fortune: October 24, 2011

Today's fortune: You are busy but you are happy.

Not today I wasn't.

After spraining my ankle over the weekend, I decided to call in sick - or rather, call in injured - to work today. My ankle is still hurting, and I'm trying to keep from walking on it as much as possible. So that made for a pretty unproductive day. But at least it was restful as hell.

You want the rundown? You got it. I woke up at nine-ish, and laid around in bed for a couple hours watching reruns of "Pawn Stars" and reading a book. Later I managed to dress myself and I took a short drive to make sure my ankle could stand the pressure of pressing down the gas and brake pedals (it can - which means I'm going to work tomorrow). After I came home, I camped out in my recliner, ate some lunch, watched most of "Joe Versus the Volcano," an episode of "The People's Court" and part of "Let's Make a Deal" before falling asleep with a cat purring away on my lap. I woke up to watch the tail-end of "Ellen." And then Jamie came home from her substitute teaching gig.

And that was pretty much my day.

I was the opposite of busy today - the only thing I accomplished was resting and icing my tender ankle. But this is a change of pace for me. Anyone who reads this blog regularly knows my job is fast-paced and keeps me very busy.

But the truth is, I am happy with my job - in spite of, or maybe because of, the pace of it. I love the job, in fact. The people I work with are terrific, and my superiors are delightful to work for.

I felt bad for calling in today, because I know the work that I would have done today had to be done by somebody else - and all my co-workers are just as busy as I am. But it's a pretty long hike from the parking lot to my desk, and an even longer one from my desk to the men's room, and I don't think my ankle would have liked me very much if I'd gone in today. By giving my ankle 24 more hours of rest, I feel pretty certain that I'll be able to handle the physical pressures of walking tomorrow.

And once I make that walk, I know I'll be thrown back into the fire and I'll be as busy as ever.

Part of me can't wait to get back in there.

1 comment: