Sunday, October 30, 2011

Today's fortune: October 30, 2011

Today's fortune: God has given you one face, and you make yourselves another.

What a perfect fortune for the day before Halloween, when we as a culture embrace putting on another face.


Also - today's is the first fortune to directly reference a man upstairs. So that's noteworthy.

I think all of us build a mask, or a new face, for ourselves. Sometimes these masks change on a daily or hourly basis. I know mine does: I am a different person when I'm around my wife than I am when I'm at work, around my family or out with my friends. The changes are mostly miniscule and may only be noticeable to me and those closest to me, but they're there. And I've been called out on them before by those same people.

Here's an example: Jamie always picks on me about how I talk on the phone. When it's a stranger or someone outside my immediate family, she says I deepen my voice. I don't really notice it, but she says I do it. One more: she says if I'm mad, I pretend like I'm not mad. I guess I believe her on both counts, because she knows me better than anybody.

The real Matt Kelsey - or, the face that god gave me, is probably the one I wear when I'm alone with my wife. This is where I feel most comfortable, and where I feel the least amount of need to wear a mask.

In some ways, I kind of like the idea of that: nobody, except my soulmate, ever actually sees the real me.

Whatever the case may be, Jamie and I are planning to spend tomorrow night celebrating the masks people wear on October 31st. Our trick-or-treat visitors, by the way, will be receiving traditional Halloween candy as well as an extra treat that's less sweet but offers a lot more wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment