Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Today's fortune: October 5, 2011

Today's fortune: Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.

This tongue-twister of a fortune has had me perplexed all day. It's not an easy thing to untangle, but once you do, this is a pretty profound message.

A few other ways to say it: Leave well enough alone. Don't poke the angry bear. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm sure there are countless others. Essentially, what this fortune means is, don't go looking for trouble - but if you happen to find yourself in trouble, be prepared.

Ironically, this fortune seems to go hand-in-hand with yesterday's message: "Speak only well of people and you need never whisper." Ever since yesterday, I've been doing my level best to avoid trash talk of all forms. I don't insult people to their face or behind their back. And although it's been less than 48 hours since I started, I've already noticed a difference. I feel better about myself, and the people around me seem to feel better, too.

And you know what? Speaking well of people is perhaps the best way to avoid trouble. Our tongues can get us into trouble faster than anything else, but if you say only nice things, trouble is less likely to come knocking on your door.


No comments:

Post a Comment