Thursday, October 6, 2011

Today's fortune: October 6, 2011

Today's fortune: The physician heals, nature makes well.

The way my work schedule is set up, I can take a minimum of a half hour or a maximum of two hours for my lunch break every day. Most widget makers stick closer to a half hour, and I do too, because then you get to go home earlier. But the two-hour window is nice, in case you have to run errands or if you have a doctor's appointment.

Just about every day for the last few weeks, I've been keeping appointments myself during lunch. Not with a physician, but with nature. Every day I go outside during my lunch break. I either sit in the cab of my truck with the windows rolled down, or I sit at a bench in the outdoor seating area. The weather has been so perfectly delightful lately that I can't resist. Sometimes I just sit and read, other times I take a nap.

The only problem is, I don't want to go back inside after a half hour, and my lunch breaks are growing longer as the weather grows more beautiful.

But being outside among nature - even if it is in the middle of an office park - does indeed make me well. I'm always energized when I go back in from lunch. I always feel better, physically and emotionally. And I'm always more productive in the second half of the day than the first. I think it's safe to say all of that can be chalked up to spending a little time outside each day.

I have also started to notice things, beautiful, natural things that are all around us. Like the huge blooming flower bush outside my building.


Or the clear blue sky.


It's a whole other world out there. I can forget about widgets for a few minutes and enjoy what nature has to offer.

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to go sit on the porch with a book and a beer and enjoy the rest of the daylight.

No comments:

Post a Comment