Saturday, October 8, 2011

Today's fortune: October 8, 2011

Today's fortune: You have an important new business development shaping up.

I've had fortunes about business development in the past, and usually I write about Jamie. My wife is the entrepreneur of the family, and I'm confident that one day she'll run her own business. In fact, maybe it'll be a gourmet bakery: for a potluck day at my office this week, Jamie made one of her many signature dishes, Oreo Mint Truffles.

The recipe is pretty simple, but it takes skill: crushed-up mint oreos and cream cheese mixed together and rolled into little balls, then dipped in melted chocolate and then covered with cookie crumb dust. They look really cool and they taste even better. I took three dozen of them into work, and they were gone within minutes. Everyone raved over them, even people I've never met before. One co-worker told me, "Your wife's chocolate balls are amazing!" At first I was really offended, but then I understood.

Oh, and this is nothing new; I've taken the truffles in to other jobs as well and received the exact same reaction.

And although Jamie could make a fortune selling her truffles and other baked goods, I may have stumbled onto a business opportunity for myself today: concrete. My brother Marty asked me to come help him re-do a section of his driveway today, and Jamie and I headed over for a day of work and family bonding. I don't know how much I helped with the actual concrete portion, but the driveway looks damn good. Here's Marty spraying sealant onto the finished section.


And besides, this kind of work is in my family history. Hundreds of years ago my dad and my grandfather both worked at a cement block factory in Jefferson City, Missouri, and many of their blocks can still be found in structures around the state capital.

I don't think I'll be hanging out my shingle as a cement and concrete business (I don't know anyone crazy enough to hire me), but it's fun to dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment