Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Today's fortune: November 1, 2011

Today's fortune: You have a deep appreciation for the arts and music.
Asked and answered: I've written tons about my tastes for music and art on this blog. There's no new territory to cover.

Except for in the way I appreciate arts and music, and the fact that I could do more of it.

I'll give you two examples:

Jamie and I visited our city's world-class art museum, the Nelson-Atkins, a few years ago, and we had a great time looking at the original Thomas Hart Bentons and George Caleb Binghams and Georgia O'Keefes and Monets on display there, as well as the museum's extensive collection of Asian art. But we only scratched the surface of the exhibits at the museum (we didn't even touch the modern art building or the sculpture garden). We vowed to go back frequently, and we haven't been back since.

Earlier this week Jamie and I shut off the TV and turned on the stereo, and listened to a collection of Simon & Garfunkel tracks while we read and talked. It was delightful, and we vowed to do it more frequently.

So here's what we'll do: once a week, Jamie and I will flip off the television, turn on some tunes and enjoy a peaceful evening. And once a month, we will try do something artistic, including visits to the Nelson, one of the other art museums in the city, or a gallery or exhibit.

I think that's something we can live up to. And our horizons will only be expanded.

No comments:

Post a Comment