Saturday, November 19, 2011

Today's fortune: November 19, 2011

Today's fortune: The joyfulness of man prolongs his day.

You know what brings me joy, and what prolongs my days?

My wife, Jamie.

Last night, though, Jamie went to be early, and I was left utterly joyless all by myself. But after a hard day of substitute teaching for kindergarteners, she deserved it - along with a Nobel Peace Prize.

So alone last night, I popped into my office with a cold beverage, a warm blanket and Raymond Chandler's crime novel "The Long Goodbye" in tow. Chandler's novels are set in the 40s and 50s. So I flipped on the computer, clicked over to AccuRadio, and found a 50's Jazz station. While the tunes of Art Blakey, Thelonious Monk and Charlie Parker set the soundtrack for a mystery set in a noir version of post-war Los Angeles. It was lovely. And it was joyful. And the night crept on, just like those smooth tunes pumping from my computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment