Monday, November 21, 2011

Today's fortune: November 21, 2011

Today's fortune: The best prophet of the future is the past.

In one way it's a sad week. A good friend of mine at Acme Co., in fact one of my best friends in the whole place, is leaving the company on Wednesday.

Today after work, a bunch of widget makers gathered at a local bar and grill to toast our comrade who will soon depart.

I have acquaintances all over the country. If I was better at keeping in touch with people, I would have friends all over the country. These folks were friends once, but now they've slipped into the "acquaintance" category. If the trend continues, eventually they'll all be considered people I used to know.

But I hate that. It disgusts me to know I've let so many good friendships fall by the wayside. I don't want that to happen any more.

"The best prophet of the future is the past." The past has taught me that it takes work to maintain a friendship. And I'm going to start putting in that work, especially with my newest friends, especially with my Acme Co. buddy. I hope I can look back ten years from now and still consider him a close friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment