Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Today's fortune: November 22, 2011

Today's fortune: Time is money.

For the millions and millions of us in this country who put in a 40-hour work week, this phrase is quite literal: if we don't put in the time on the job, we don't get no money.

I'm fortunate to have a flexible schedule at Acme Co. I have to meet two requirements with my schedule: Work 40 hours each week, and work my "core hours" every day. My core hours are 9:30 a.m. until 3:30 p.m. That's the minimum I can work each day. I can also come in early and stay late around those core hours to fulfill my 40-hour requirement.

I love this schedule. Most days, I get to work before 8 a.m. and I leave around 4:30, but some days I come in later and some days I leave much earlier. Everybody here tries to work it so they can leave by 3:30 on Friday, which almost makes it feel like a long weekend.

The "time is money" philosophy comes into play during my commute. I've discovered that if I leave my house before 7:30, my drive takes 20 minutes or less. If I wait to leave until after 7:30, the traffic is much heavier and the commute can take up to 30 minutes or more.

These thoughts keep me from hitting the "snooze" button more than once in the morning: ten extra minutes on a commute costs me money.

That word "time" also reminds me that my time is running short for this project. All of a sudden, the year is almost over. I have less than 40 days left. People keep asking me what I'll do next year, when I don't have fortune cookies to write about. I usually come up with a witty answer about doing nothing for quite a while.

That's true - I do plan on taking a break from the blogosphere for a little while. But I honestly don't know what's next for my writing career.

What I do know is that I'll have a lot more time on my hands. Maybe I can turn that time into money.

No comments:

Post a Comment