Saturday, November 26, 2011

Today's fortune: November 26, 2011

Today's fortune: There is a true and sincere friendship between you both.

Friends, I have the secret of a strong marriage, and I will share it with you now - free of charge.

Here it is: the person you marry has to be your best friend, and I don't mean in the sense that the person you marry is slightly higher on your list than your next best friend. The person you marry has to be someone who redefines friendship for you.

Unfortunately, that means if you're already in a marriage to someone who doesn't meet that definition, you have an uphill battle. And I don't have an answer for you.

I was talking to Jamie, my wife and my best friend, today about this fortune, and she came closest to defining "true and sincere friendship," although really I think it's something you know more in your gut, not something you can put into words. Jamie said, "I feel like we could spend 24 hours a day together and we wouldn't ever get tired of one another's company."

Before you roll your eyes at this, let me assure you we've tested this theory. Jamie and I have worked together on two separate occasions. Neither time did it lead to any major fights or conflicts. We were always on each other's side, and we never grew tired of seeing each other at work as well as home.

If we weren't such good friends, I don't think we could have ever stomached it.

You can't just love the person you're married to. You have to like them, too.

This is a strangely-worded fortune, one of several I've had in this batch, and I'm only assuming it's talking about me and Jamie. But as a Facebook follower pointed out, the fortune could be talking about my relationship with the cookie. In which case, let me assure you that I had a special place in my heart for that cookie. Our friendship was true and sincere, right up to the moment I broke it in half, ripped out its soul and ate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment