Thursday, December 15, 2011

Today's fortune: December 15, 2011

Today's fortune: Fortune truly helps those who are of good judgment.

I could almost start a smin-off blog with fortune cookie messages that contain the word "fortune."

But I like this one in particular, because it implies good fortune doesn't come free. You have to earn it - and, in this case, earn it with good judgment.

I could use some judgment right now. I am facing a bit of a dilemma at work.

The higher-ups have asked for volunteers from my department to go work in another department for three months, starting in January. It's a good opportunity to gain experience in another aspect of the business, and it would get my name out there to a new set of supervisors and decision makers. But volunteering for the assignment also has a downside.

For one, it's a pretty good bet that when I got back to my original department in the spring, I would probably be reporting to a different supervisor. That's no good, because my current supervisor is terrific. Also, I would be three months behind in the social and office politics of the department, and although that's not critical to my every-day job performance, you can bet your bottom dollar it's important in the grand scheme.

Also, there's this: I like my job. And I have no idea whether I'll like the temporary assignment.

It's easy to remain stagnant and inch up the corporate ladder; the job security is much better that way. Swinging on a rope to a completely different ladder is much more risky.

But I don't want to be afraid to take chances in my career.

Fortunately, another part of good judgment is gathering all the available information before making a decision. The higher-ups don't need a decision immediately; I have a couple weeks to think about it. And a supervisor in my department has promised to look into it to find out more information.

I'll bide my time. I'll look for calculated risks, and I'll not hesitate to jump at an opportunity to advance my career.

And, for the next few weeks at least, I'll seek the advice of the cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment