Monday, December 19, 2011

Today's fortune: December 19, 2011

Today's fortune: Maybe you can live on the moon in next century.

Back in March, another fortune told me, "An alien of some sort will be appearing to you shortly!" Now, it appears the fortune gods have changed their minds and they'd rather we be the ones who do the visiting.

When I opened the alien fortune in March, I asked my older brother Marty, a science teacher and a space nut, to chime in on the chances of discovering life on (or from) other planets. Click the link above to read his well-thought-out answer, which is much more intelligent than you'd expect from a guy who looks like this:

Hey, the year's almost up. This might be
the last time I get to use this photo.

Now, Marty is working toward an adventure that may very well make this fortune come true.

My brother is applying to be an astronaut.

No fooling. NASA is actually looking to hire new astronauts, and the application process is taking place now. I can't think of a better candidate than my brother.

Ever since we visited Cape Canaveral on a family vacation back in the '80s, my brother has been obsessed with space. He has witnessed a shuttle launch. He has flown in the "Vomit Comet," the zero-gravity airplane used to train real astronauts. He has attended Space Camp and taken classes of students there. His classes have taken photos from a camera mounted on the International Space Station. He has even been a JASON Project National Argonaut, and has conducted experiments at the Jet Propulsion Lab.

Oh yeah - and he's also a terrific educator who has shaped hundreds of young minds. In fact, the other day my parents met a former student of Marty's; the student told them my brother was the reason she wanted to be a teacher. That's pretty cool.

NASA, if you're reading this, selecting Martin Kelsey as your newest astronaut is a no-brainer.

I don't find it impossible that Marty is the next person to step foot on the moon, fulfilling this fortune. And who knows? Marty and Sarah's son or daughter, who is due in February, could fulfill this fortune and be the first person to live here:

No comments:

Post a Comment