Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Today's fortune: December 21, 2011

Today's fortune: You will be unusually successful in business.

Ten days left in this project, and the fortune cookie gods continue to kick at me, implying that if I were successful in business, boy, wouldn't that be unusual?

But that's okay. I've honestly never had much of a businessman's mind. When I was young, my dad grew tomatoes in our back yard, and my brother and I sold them off our front porch for fifty cents per pound. We blew all our profits on baseball cards. I never ran a lemonade stand that I can remember, and I never had a paper route (although once, while working as a newspaper editor, my wife told one of her co-workers my job title and the co-worker said, "Does that mean your husband delivers the paper?").

However... in the course of the next few years, I plan on changing that.

I'm going to go back to college. And I'm going to go for an M.B.A.

Acme Co., the company I work for, is nice enough to pay for my tuition and books, as long as I take classes in a field that doesn't apply directly to a field other than widget making, up to $5,000 per year, so I figure, why not? I can't think of a better degree than a Masters of Business Administration to help my current career and to improve me as a person.

It'll take me years to finish up the degree. But every step will be worth it. I'll be learning how to be successful in business (unusual or otherwise). And it will give me a hobby for next year, when a certain obligation eclipses into the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment