Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Today's fortune: December 28, 2011

Today's fortune: A friend is a present you give to yourself.
I'm not exaggerating when I say the word "Friend" has appeared in the fortune cookie messages I've received this year as much, if not more, than any other.

It makes sense. Friends and fortune (another common word) go hand in hand; if you receive a fortune, who better to share it with than friends?

Today's message says your friends are your fortune.

Here we are on Day 362, and I'm reminded of the very first fortune I ever opened in 2011, in the minutes after midnight on New Year's Day. It said, "Investigate new possibilities with friends. Now is the time!" In analyzing the fortune, I vowed to make a new friend every week in 2011. It's been hard, but I know for certain I have at least 52 more friends now than I had at the beginning of the year. Most of them are work friends, but still - don't you consider your work friends right up there with your best friends?

As I think back on 362 days of fortunes, I have to say the promise I made to myself on Day to increase my group of friends has been one of the most valuable. I love my friends. Each and every one of them is a present to myself.

4 comments: