Sunday, February 6, 2011

Today's fortune: February 6, 2011

Today's fortune: You are always welcome in any gathering. Host a party this month.

As the Packers and Steelers prepare to do battle in Super Bowl XLV, I'm thinking about a way to entice people to come to a party this month after they're partied out from today.

The first thing Jamie and I did after we read this fortune was debate its meaning. She thinks it means we have to host a party by the end of February. I think it means I have a month from today, or until March 6. My argument is, what if I had opened this fortune on Feb. 28? Would I only have a matter of hours to throw a party? Jamie rolled her eyes and told me to stop being so dumb.

So I guess that means we'll be having a party in February.

Our success with parties has reached both ends of the spectrum, from a couple all-time blowouts to some complete duds.

Jamie and I lived for a brief time in Maryville, Missouri. I was the editor of the local daily newspaper, and Jamie worked for a cell phone company. We decided to have a Halloween party at our apartment, and we each invited friends from work, people we liked and enjoyed spending time with, and we thought they felt the same way about us. Of the fifteen or so people we invited, zero showed up.

That's right - we threw a party and nobody came. And the next day at work, nobody said a word.

On the other hand, we've had a pair of spectacular parties at our current house. We filled the place to capacity and drained a good-sized keg during a housewarming party a few years ago. Then last October, we threw a wicked birthday party for Jamie. It was quite a bash, and some of the guests stayed until 3 a.m. One of my neighbors even called the cops on us, although the officers went away without even knocking on our door when they realized the music wasn't overly loud.

I'm thinking our February party should be something small and intimate. Maybe a dinner party. A few couples, my famous Baked Penne with Roasted Vegetables, a few bottles of wine, some Simon & Garfunkel playing in the background.

Maybe I could make this recipe, shared by loyal reader Layne:

"Slice up some sweet pickled watermelon rind. Cut some thin sliced bacon strips in half. Wrap bacon around rind, secure with toothpick and broil until the bacon is done. Eat!"

Sorry, Layne, but no thanks. I'll leave the bacon-wrapped watermelon rind to you.

1 comment:

  1. I'd show up. Want me to wear a costume to make up for the Halloween party people missed?

    ReplyDelete