Friday, June 3, 2011

Today's fortune: June 3, 2011

Today's fortune: You have a strong instinct to take care of people you love.

The reason I get up every day and go to work is to take care of the person I love most. If not for Jamie, I would probably be an unemployed vagabond.

I think my love for my wife, and my immediate family - including parents and other relatives, of course, but also my three cats - can be summed up by this incident, which happened just yesterday.

I was at work. Jamie was at home, preparing for the upcoming baby shower which will take place tomorrow. It was in the middle of a long day when cell phone buzzed. Jamie had sent me a text message.

"It's a hard life!" the text preview said, which left me a bit perplexed. I poked the message to see the whole thing. It was a picture message; Jamie had sent me photos of two of our cats, JoJo and Short Round, fast asleep in their favorite spots.

"You have no idea how much that brightens my day," I texted back. And it really did. "Now I'm just missing a picture of you and Phillip," our third cat.

Seconds later, the phone buzzed again. Jamie had posed by Phillip and snapped a portrait at the two of them looking at the camera.

Later in the day, I spoke to Jamie on the phone. She was sitting on the back patio, enjoying a nice breeze, while I was being pelted by the recycled air of my cubicle. We talked for a few minutes, shared a couple stories from our afternoon, traded jokes, talked dirty a little (just kidding). At the end of the conversation, as we were saying our goodbyes and I-love-yous, a strange thing happened.

I heard a train whistle in the background.

Jamie probably didn't even notice it. Like many lower-middle-class people, we live near a set of busy railroad tracks. Before we bought our house a few years ago, we visited the place several times, and spent a few hours here to look everything over and be present during the home inspection. We never once heard a train whistle. Then, the first night after we moved in we were laying in bed, on the verge of sleep from a hard day of moving, when a whistle blew.

Sounded like a goddamn freight train was coming through the kitchen.

The tracks, although they're over a quarter-mile away are quite active, but we've grown accustomed to the sound, and most of the time we don't even notice it. Yesterday, when I heard that train whistle over the phone, I learned that I love the sound now. It reminds me of home, where my wife and I have made a life together.

In that instant, I became incredibly happy and sad and homesick all at once.

One last thing: I've posted a lot of music on the blog lately, because I've had some posts that have tapped in deep to my emotions, and music is the best way to express those emotions sometimes. Today's fortune is no different. So here's today's musical selection, which always makes me think about the ones I love, Courtesy of Yusuf (a.k.a. Cat Stevens):

No comments:

Post a Comment