Saturday, October 1, 2011

Today's fortune: October 1, 2011

Today's fortune: You are a practical person with your feet on the ground.

It may sound silly since it's such a common word, but I decided to turn to Dictionary.com for a definition of the world "practical." The definition most of us associate with the word, I believe, is "adapted or designed for actual use; useful." But another common definition is "of or pertaining to practice or action."

In that spirit, I took some practical action today while keeping my feet firmly planted on terra firma, also known as my backyard.

It's firepit season, a time of year Jamie and I have been anticipating eagerly all summer: the time of year when there's a slight chill in the air, enough to drive away the bugs, but the evenings are still warm enough if you have a toasty fire to sit by. We roast marshmallows, drink beer and solve the problems of the world while watching the logs crackle in our outdoor firepit. We've already done it twice this year, including last night.


But our supply of firewood is dwindling down to nothing. I hate to admit it, being the manly man I am, but I usually buy my firewood and kindling, since I don't have access to a forest, and I'm pretty attached to the two trees in my backyard. But those trees do produce a good amount of limbs year-round, and over the course of the summer I drag them to a woodpile in the corner of the yard. Today I scavenged the woodpile, found the choicest pieces and cut them down to a fairly significant pile of kindling and firewood. Enough to last us the fall, probably.


Tonight looks like a perfect night for a fire. Maybe Jamie and I will fire it up again. But we'll need to go to the store first. I think we're out of beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment