Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Today's fortune: December 20, 2011

Today's fortune: A friend asks only for your time not your money.

So back in junior high school, there was this guy. Let's call him "Billy." I wrote about Billy briefly way back on January 30 when a fortune told me, "Time heals all wounds."

I wrote about how Billy had borrowed a dollar from me and never paid it back. It was after gym class one day. There was a soda machine in the locker room. At the end of the class, when it was time to change back into our street clothes, often some of us fellows would purchase a soda to restore our energy (nothing like burning calories and then pumping those calories right back in).

One day, Billy asked to borrow a dollar from me to buy a soda. I gave it to him. The next day he didn't offer to pay me back. The next day I asked him for it, and he said he would pay me back later. I kept asking him for it for a few days, and eventually I stopped - not only stopped asking him, but stopped talking to him altogether.

Back in January, I wrote that I had forgiven Billy. And it's true; I have forgiven him (even though I had stupidly held that grudge all these years). And even though I've forgiven Billy, I don't have a friendship with him.

That's because today's fortune is true: "A friend asks only for your time not your money." Billy asked me for money. I gave it to him. He never paid it back. Even though the sum was paltry, the act of betrayal ended a friendship.

I forgive Billy for not paying me back. But I could never be his friend.

The people I consider my truest friends don't ask for my money. They want to spend time with me. And I want to spend time with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment